The summer of 2015, Sandy Austin – Founder of the B.I.O.N.I.C. Team – was interviewed about the B.I.O.N.I.C. Team on a local radio station. Ronda Knuth a worker from Sunrise Senior Living at Pinehurst in Englewood, Colorado heard the broadcast and contacted Sandy shortly after the interview.
Ronda shared, “Sandy I heard you on the radio and I would like to start a B.I.O.N.I.C. Team at Sunrise Senior Living at Pinehurst. I think a B.I.O.N.I.C. Team at our place would help our residents in so many ways. Some have been moved out of their lifelong home, some rarely get visitors, and some have health issues and all these situations can leave residents in a discouraging state. Having a B.I.O.N.I.C. Team would help our residents reach out to others facing challenging times and in the process give them purpose and a chance to make a difference in the lives of others. And we would like to team up with your school.”
Sandy was excited with the possibilities of having an intergenerational effort for the B.I.O.N.I.C. Team. So Sunrise started one and Sandy added the new “Intergenerational Team” to the other teams on her B.I.O.N.I.C. Team at Pomona High School in Arvada, Colorado. Sunrise residents meet monthly with the Pomona B.I.O.N.I.C. Team. We will be adding a tab above soon so you can get more information about the B.I.O.N.I.C. “Intergenerational Team” and the collaboration with Sunrise Senior Living at Pinehurst.
What would our world look like if every person for one day, did one nice thing for someone else every hour for ten hours? Our school has 1,500 students in it. What would it be like if we saw 15,000 nice things done in our school that day? The B.I.O.N.I.C. Team (which stands for Believe It Or Not I Care) wants to know. What an amazing day that would be! If the more that 900 schools that have shown an interest in the B.I.O.N.I.C. Team would participate in this special day, we could impact the world! What if each person in every business in your community did this? Every church? We want to make history on October 10th – designated by “10-10 – I Care Day”! Look under the “Initiatives” tab for more information on our “10-10 – I Care Day.”
We have 6 videos about the new B.I.O.N.I.C. “Prevent Bullying by Just Saying H.I.” program – one for staff training about 4 minutes (one each for elementary, middle, and high schools), and one for student video announcements for each level – about 2 minutes.
Here are the staff training links:
Here are the student announcement links:
Flyers you can post around your school will be coming soon! Let us know if you want to implement the B.I.O.N.I.C. “Prevent Bullying by Just Saying H.I.” program and we will send you more information.
Look at this media clip of our new bully prevention program which is a simple add-on to any program at your school. It’s called “Prevent Bullying by Just Saying H.I.”
H – Help – Get help immediately from an adult when you see bullying
– If you see bullying and you don’t feel comfortable stepping in and stopping it, contact an adult ASAP or report it through the procedure already set up in school.
I – Initiate – initiate contact with the bullied student – sometime that day reach out to let him/her know you care
– If you feel comfortable stepping in during the incident, ask the bully to stop then reach out to the bullied student and ask him or her to hang out with you.
– If you don’t feel comfortable stepping in at the moment of the incident, reach out to that student sometime that day – i.e. “I saw what happened and I am sorry. It was wrong and I reported it.” “I come this way every day at this time and I will be watching to see if it happens again.” “Would you like to sit with me next time?” “Would you like me to walk down the hall with you next time?
– If you feel comfortable, tell the bullied student you reported this incident to an adult.
11-11 efforts this year were a big hit at Green Mountain High School! Some of the things we did in encouraging students to make a difference in eleven other lives that day were:
- 11-11 You Have Made a Difference” cards – students gave these to people saying thank you for how they have impacted their lives
- We made posters for the staff in each department at school and asked students to sign them thanks the staff in that department for all they do
- We gave a goodie bag to each Advisement (homeroom/study hall) teacher with treats for every student and teacher in that class
- At the doors as everyone arrived in the morning, we gave out candy to wish them a good day.
- We collected “$1 for a Flower” for an outreach to St. Anthony’s Hospital patients and staff
- Students had the chance to decorate get well cards for St. Anthony’s patients
- Students signed big poster-sized cards for St. Anthony’s staff
- Students and staff did other personalized things to reach out to others to
We also had a Rally to bring schools together to celebrate the difference we collectively made that day. We had speakers and special guests:
- Dr. Cindy Stevenson – Jeffco Public Schools Superintendent – who we gave the Lifetime of Compassion” Award for her service to our district – since she is retiring in June
- Lesley Dahlkemper – President of the Jeffco Public Schools Board of Directors
- Colleen Owens – Principal of Green mountain High School
- Tami Bandimere Shrader – Guest speaker from Bandimere Speedway
- Denver Broncos Cheerleaders
We also recognized some of the most outstanding B.I.O.N.I.C. Teams across the world with the “B.I.O.N.I.C. Elementary School of the Year,” “B.I.O.N.I.C. Middle School of the Year,” “B.I.O.N.I.C. High School of the Year,” “B.I.O.N.I.C. Multi-level School of the Year,” “B.I.O.N.I.C. International School of the Year,” and the “B.I.O.N.I.C. Community Group of the Year.” Watch for the names of the recipients soon!
Our Community Service Project this year was for St. Anthony’s Hospital and the outreaches are listed above besides a hat/coat/glove/sock drive for homeless or struggling patients who are released from the Hospital.
A big Congratulations to Joanne Conlon our Student Coordinator for the day. Thank you Joanne for ALL the hours you put into making it possible for the rest of us to make a HUGE difference in the lives of others!!!! Our world is better today because of you